Smart home technology can be broken in to 5 key components / applications of use.
Safety and Security
- A smart home provides its occupants a safer environment. Security systems can protect the residents and their belongings from intruders. They can also warn homeowners in case there is any emergency, by letting them know how to take care of themselves. Smart homes could connect with town/local area warning systems for news on natural disasters. In case of a fire, the alarms would wake up the household, illuminate escape routes, and the doors are immediately unlocked.
- With the increasing costs and depletion of energy worldwide, it is becoming more important to be energy efficient. A smart home makes heating and cooling systems go on and off as needed, and the house is never too warm or too cold. Lights, computers and appliances are on only when someone is actually using them.
- The smart home of the future will be especially convenient for older individuals. It will be able to tell the resident that it is time to take his/her medicine, call 911 in case of emergency and keep a record of the foods eaten and when. The house will also turn off the lights when not in use, shut off the running water and turn off the hot stove.
- Many houses are already smart when it comes to the Internet. Computers around the house are all part of a network to share files among users and the Wi-Fi system, so laptops can be moved anywhere. You can also plug into your house computer from the road to easily communicate with everyone.
- With a smart house, the residence will be prepared for getting the best sound and/or visuals on the stereo system, television and Internet. Ultimately multiples users could access the centralized home theatre features to view or listen to anything they want from any location in the home. The TVs in your home could also be used to access other features of the smart home system like: your video security system and emails.
Following is a list of companies, in alphabetical order, that are physically located in Olds AB:
B&M HOME HARDWARE BUILDING CENTRE
Mailing Address: 6307-46 St., Olds, AB
THE BRICK OLDS
Contact: Keith Beck
Mailing Address: Box 4025 50 Avenue, Olds, AB T4H 1B3
CAP SOLAR PUMPS LTD
Contact: Jason Wright
Mailing Address: 4511 Imperial Rd, Olds, AB T4H 1M6
Agriculture & Ag Services
Mailing Address: #600, 6900 – 46 St., Olds, AB T4H 0A2
FAR WEST ELECTRIC LTD.
Contact: Steve or Kathy Reynolds
Mailing Address: 5708 47 Ave, Olds, AB
LEO’S BUILDING SUPPLIES LTD.
Olds, Alberta T4H 1M5
Phone: (403) 556-8723
OLDS ELECTRIC & LIGHTING LTD
Contact: Jeremy & Cindy Tookey
Mailing Address: 5406 46 St, Olds, AB T4H 1B8
Plumbing, Heating & Electrical
OTTO’S AUDIO VIDEO
Contact: Mike Hanna
Mailing Address: 5101-49 AVE Olds, AB T4H 1E7
Phone: (403) 556-3477
Toll Free: 1-866-556-3477
Communications & Electronics
Contact: Robert & Wendy Waiting
Mailing Address: RR 2,Site 2, Box 14, Olds, AB T4H 1P3
SEARS CANADA INC O/A 12673888 ALBERTA LTD
Contact: Sheri Krueger
Mailing Address: 16B 4513 52 Ave, Olds, AB
SUNSTROKE SOLAR COMPANY
Contact: Dan Vezina 403.896.3833
Mailing Address: PO Box 4131, Olds, AB T4H 1P7
Contact: Jim Prizeman
Mailing Address: #8, 5221 46 St, Olds, AB T4H 1T5
Communications & Electronics